Monday, July 20, 2009

Good Things

They say that good things happen to you in three's and this past week has proven that statement to be true!
Good Thing#1:
Here I am holding the new Somerset Home Magazine ready to hit the newstands. They published my artwork and article. YEAH!!! Earlier in the year, Amanda Nolan contacted us via email through Lollishops and asked us if we would be willing to submit the Clothes Pin Birds we had for sale to the Somerset Home publication. So, of course we said YES! Lee and I brainstormed last June to actually sell the birds as kits. So off we went. Here is the magazine and the 3 page layout.
My article is entitled Roosters and Robins. I totally sweated the 600 word article. I don't enjoy writing. It is not my strong point, but I swallowed hard and sat down and finally typed out something I was proud of.
It has been a real thrill to see my work in the magazine and Somerset was wonderful to work with. It was a good day!!! Thank you Somerset!
Good Thing#2:
Seeing and spending time with the people you love is always a good thing. On our way home from NJ we stopped in VA to see Luz and her beautiful family. They are every bit as special as she is.
Her daughter Loren is a sweet copy of her Mother in so many ways. You just want to keep hugging her, too. That husband of hers was some cute Marine!!!! All kidding a side, they were all very warm and welcoming. We had some dinner together and Luz treated Judy and I to some incredible gifts.
All of our handmade goodies were in this bag made out of newspaper. Luz's hubby brought them back from overseas. They had paper handles and were so neat. Perfect for her gifts. Angela we thought of you when we saw these bags... our paper Queen!
The first gift was this lovely victorian lady perched on this spoon. There is tulle and lace and the sparkly blue glitter on the spoon. I don't know....this has a bit of a vintage feel to it. Could we have converted her in May????
The second creation was made on a ladle. It is the cutest little nest and eggs. Very, very clever. I love it and will be hanging it up in my kitchen as a daily reminder of my sweet friend.
This handmade cloth book blew me away and absolutely made me well up! Luz made a special remembrance of Girls Weekend that warmed my heart and brought back how incredible the weekend was.
The black and white photos add so much to this book as well as her choice of written sentiment.
It moves me to think of her spending the time to make me something so wonderful and so heartfelt.
We meet many people on this journey called life. They come in and out of our doors some to never see again and some that change your idea of what a friend really is. Thank you, dear Luz for being so generous and caring. My life is better for knowing you and I look forward to years of laughter, wild adventures and lots of your terrific hugs!
Good Thing #3:
It's official today! Mom and Dad's house was sold today. The closing is set for August 24th. We will be heading back up to Toms River in early August to help pack and move them into storage. I know that Mom and Dad are both relieved and sad at the idea of moving out of a home they spent 40 years in. It was pure joy to hear those words today for me. I know that is selfish, but I need my parents near now and so does Don and Shelby! My hope is that they will find a home here that they like in GA and finally be here. I haven't been in the same town as my mother and father since I left for College. It's time for a new chapter in their lives. I am happy and excited for them. Say both a cheer and prayer for them to help them get through this hectic time. Good days are ahead. Again, it was a good day!!!

14 comments:

Birds of a Feather said...

Hi Tammy ~

Thank you, fun, creativity, sunshine and friendship set the scene for a wonderful party!

Congrats on all your good things! It is so fun to see your work in print, I'm going to have to go out and get that one!

Have a lovely day!
xo Heidi

Unknown said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

The magazine layout is fantastic and I'm sure what you have written is just as fantastic! I'm so proud of you. Can't wait to run
out for Somerset and actually see your work in print. This is the second time you have been published and I'm positively sure it won't be the last! Enjoy the spotlight.

Such lovely gifts made be Luz. The photo album is so special. I can't wait to see it in person. We have all come away from "Girls' Weekend, Southern Style" with lasting memories and new friendships.

Love you, Mom

Lee Weber said...

awesome post!! Love the bag, love the fabric book!

natalea said...

Three such wonderful things!! Congrats on the Somerset publication- I love those birds and remember when you sent me one- it's still hanging right on my craft room lamp. And how fun you got together with Luz! What great gifts she made you! And of course many congrats to your sweet mom and dad! I'm so happy for you and them that they will be closer now!! Such great news Tammy- xox
natalea

laurie -magpie ethel said...

Congrats on the magazine...will be hitting the newstands to look for a copy. Very coool!

Laurie said...

Congratulations -- especially on your magazine article! That is very exciting! I will look for it in stores!

Angela said...

YAYAYAYAY...on all accounts! I can't wait to get HOME and read all abt. you, I love the book Luz made for you and am so jealous that you guys got to hang out..maybe I should go back to NJ with you in Aug. so I don't miss out on all the fun. Best of all is that your mom and dad are moving here...I know all of you will be so happy being close to each other! I'm being a bit selfish here cause I think MommaRu, Judy, you and I will have so much fun junkin together!! We have to go to Vidalia as soon as she gets here.

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh sweet Tammy!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I'm so very happy for you girl...your article looks wonderful and of course your artwork is GORGEOUS published! I've got to find me a copy asap. And my goodness, that precious Luz...she's such an angel, I know you all had fun seeing one another again. Her gifts to you are just wonderful. And I'm so very happy for your family!!!! Now MommaRu can live close by!! What fun is to come....love and hugs sweet friend, xxoo, Dawn

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Tammy, thank you so much for your sweet words about my space!!!! I love your studio...inspiration is everywhere!!! Did you see my beautiful apron that you made me? hugs and love, Dawn

Unknown said...

Congrats on your publication girl! I just read your fabulous article! I have the copy because my paper weight is in there :)Congrats also to your parents on selling the house and I do hope they can move closer to you! Have a great weekend!

Sandy

cinnibonbon said...

Oh love--
I'm am super excited for you. This is a prefect tribute to your art and your dedication to details. I'm in total love of those roosters! You and Lee have come up with some fantastic ideas, I just sit back with amazement at what talent is surrounding me!

Thank you for the beautiful and kind words-- but it is you who brings out the best of me. If is you who inspires me to no end and it is you who has shown me the true meaning of friendship. You are a real treasure and I will be forever grateful to have you in my life and I consider myself very fortunate to be in your company. I just love your warm spirit and energy. You amaze me! I love your little shelby and hubs. And I'm in awe of your mom. I am beyond thrilled for the two of you--that she will moving near you real soon!!!
Thank you for being my friend.

XOXOXO

alittlebitofscrap said...

Oh, Wow! so many good things. I'm happy for you :) Congrats on the article! I wonder if our little book store even has that magazine.. hm...

Stephenie said...

Congrat's on the article!!! That's just amazing...I'm really happy good things are happening in your life..Love seeing the big smile on your face, you can just see the excitement over the article.
STephenie

Unknown said...

So awesome on the magazine layout. I will grab one and check it out. Such creativity you have. I also love your gifts. Luz has some great talent too. Great post I loved it.