Thursday, April 24, 2008

Southern Charm: Part 1

When I moved to the South last year, I didn't realize how close we were to this wonderful old city... Savannah! We just spent the last two days walking, shopping and tasting a bit of the ol' South. I took so many pictures that I am going to share our trip in 2 posts.

We started the day taking a trolley ride around the historic, victorian and old seaport areas of the city. These are a few pictures of the wonderful architecture and style of the buildings that give this city such charm.




Next, A Little South in Your Mouth!
One cannot go to Savannah without having a taste of the south, which is true comfort food!
We waited in line in the morning to get a lunch reservation for Lady and Sons Restaurant which is owned by none other than the famous cook and TV personality Paula Dean. Paula Dean is from Savannah and has several cooking shows on FoodTV and too many cook books and magazines to mention. She is adored down here. So we got a lunch reservation for 1p.m. and tried the local fare. Here are some pictures of the old building that the restaurant resides in and the yummy food we had for lunch.
My Hubby had this Pulled Pork Barbecue platter with fried potatoes, pickled tomatoes and slaw.
My SIL Judy had this scrumptious Chicken Pot Pie.
My Lunch was a half chicken salad sammy with a wonderful crab stew. Very rich, but very delicious. They don't call Paula the butter queen for nothing.
Last but not least, some sweet tea with lemon and fresh mint. We really enjoyed ourselves, but could never eat like this all of the time. Thankfully, we walked all around the city the rest of the afternoon.
This is Paula Dean's store which is attached to the restaurant. I just love this old building with the flower boxes.
Well, that's all for now. In the next day or so, I will share with you some of the cute shops I found and a day at the beach at Tybee Island.

See Y'all Soon!

Tammy

9 comments:

Lee Weber said...

wow! Great photos. I'm so jealous of your mneal- I love Paula.

Unknown said...

Can't wait for a "Girls' Getaway" visit to Savannah. Looks so pretty and all of those antique shops to explore and yummie foods to try. Hm,m,m!

Del said...

Ahh, Savannah! Brings back memories of when we toured there with your parents on our maiden voyage by boat down to FL many years ago. We didn't know who Paula Deen was in those days ... I can't wait to visit her restaurant some day. Your pics are fabulous.

Del said...

OOPS! Thought your folks toured Savannah with us ... think that was Charleston ... we did Savannah alone. (Told you it was MANY years ago! LOL!)

Susan Tuttle said...

Hi Tammy!
What amazing photos of Savannah! My parents visited not too long ago, and after seeing my mother's photos I am longing to visit.

Thanks for sharing!

Susan
xo

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Savannah looks like a beautiful city! And your lunch looks delicious! Have a great weekend!

Sugar Bear said...

Oh my gosh - it is one of my dreams to get down to Savannah! Thanks for sharing and letting me live through you.
Karla

Cape Cod Washashore said...

WOW! How fortunate you are to live so close to such a gorgeous city! Your photos are beautiful! =)

(In regards to the comment you left on my blog, I WISH the photos on my blog today were my backyard! heehee We actually live about 2 miles from the beach.)

Heather Grow said...

Tammy, what a fabulous vacation. Savanna is on my list of places that I would love to visit. Thanks for sharing.